What kind of insurance does a restaurant need?

There are over 215,000 restaurants in the U.S. today. While menus may vary, restaurants have specific insurance needs. Most owners choose a combination of coverage that helps them handle the high costs of everything from grease fires to lawsuits from dissatisfied diners.

Read more below, or fill out our form, and a licensed expert will be in touch with your personalized restaurant insurance consultation!

Site Landing Graphic
Product interest

By clicking the button below, I give my electronic signature and consent to be called by Mylo or receive text messages at this number regarding my inquiry. This consent is not required for purchase and can be revoked at any time. My telephone company may impose additional charges for text messages.

We’re big fans of businesses like yours and want to do everything in our power to help you succeed. As a starting point, you’ll want to look into:

Business owner's policy

A popular, money-saving choice for new restaurant owners because it packages several important coverages together:

  • Property insurance: Helps you repair or replace your building, equipment or furnishings if they’re damaged by fire, theft or other not-so-fun situations.
  • Business interruption insurance: Compensates your lost revenue if you have to close down for repairs because of property damage.
  • General liability insurance: Covers you if you’re sued by someone who gets hurt in your restaurant. A customer could slip on a spilled soda and faceplant on your floor – or have an allergic reaction while eating or touching the wrong appetizer. (Many landlords, vendors and partners require this.)

Product liability insurance

Covers you if you’re sued by a customer who has a bad reaction from your cuisine after leaving your restaurant. A customer could claim they suffered food poisoning or bit into a foreign object in their take-out.

Workers' compensation insurance

Pays for your employees’ medical expenses and lost wages if they’re injured in your kitchen – which also shields you from employee lawsuits.

Commercial auto insurance

Covers you for any injuries or property damage your delivery or other vehicles may cause to others. You can also add coverage to compensate you if your vehicles are damaged or vandalized. (You’re legally required to carry this in most states.)

Additional coverage to consider:

  • Cyber insurance because you take credit cards and could have a breach
  • Crime insurance because you’re vulnerable to employee theft
  • Equipment breakdown insurance because you have stoves, refrigerators and other equipment that could malfunction
  • Liquor liability insurance because you may serve alcohol to a customer who causes harm afterwards

No restaurant is like yours (go, you!)

You may have specialized needs. A licensed Mylo agent can help you figure out the best plan to protect your restaurant. Mylo is part of Lockton Companies – the world’s largest independent insurance broker – with 50+ years of experience. We help you compare quotes from leading carriers instead of selling our own insurance, which lets us give you an objective recommendation.

Just take a moment to answer a few questions and a licensed expert will be in touch with your personalized restaurant insurance consultation.